The Love and The Grace of God

Phil 4:6-7 In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be make known to God; And the peace of God, which surpasses every man's understanding, will guard your hearts and you thoughts in Christ Jesus.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Flooding Part II

Rain continues to shower the Cats city. Thought it had just being drizzling in Kota Samarahan, rain continues to shower other places in other part of Kuching. I browsed throught DID website again and today I found out that high amount of rain being measured on these few area Upp Sg. Staat, Buntak DID, Rampangi, Satok, Kampung Semariang, Kampung Git, Monggak, Serian and Kampung Semban. Besides, the king tide is going to strike again end of this month. What could be done? Fingers all pointed to barrage? The engineer? The Mother nature? Vast and uncontrolled development?...???

Continue from the previous post.

Attached here is the history of flood occurrence in Sarawak. By reviewing the history of floods in Kuching and its surrounding area we could draw a conclusion that the areas affected by flood are reducing so as the level of the flood.




I totally agree that poor drainage system is one of the main culprits that cause the flood. Have you ever wonder why is that the drain the Kuching city are all that big? I had posted this question to my dad since I was 9 years old. This is because once I got my tiny little toe stuck in the cover of the drain while I tried to cross the road! At that time I asked my daddy why is that person so stupid building such a big drain with such a big steel cover that I got my tiny little toe stuck in it! Haiz… I forgot what daddy had explained to me because I was in pain! Since I was an Civil Engineering student now.. I suppose I know why is the authority or I should said the person in charge build such a great drain! Just to aid in water flow. Flushing out the excess water to the main river then to the sea during low tide is great deal here. Improper design of the drainage system prompts to cause the flash flood. So is not the size that matter is the functionality of the design that matters. White elephant!

What interested me is the development factor. We must take into account the development factors. Greed of developers drove them to develop low lying swampy area such as the area around Sungai Kuap bridge. If drainage system is not properly designed I believe in few years time KS would be flooded often as well. In view of this, the local councils are equally to be blamed for granting the permit to develop high risk areas without proper planning or mitigation!

For detail information please do read the informational speech given by the GM of the barrage rather than the ‘big title man’.

More information coming up. Sorry for posting bit by bit due to time constrains.

No comments: